Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Break-up SOX

[x-posted at Two Pointy Sticks]

...I have another friend who also knits. We'll call her Ginny. Like me, Ginny knits for pleasure... and distraction... and stress-relief therapy. I've noticed though that, unlike me, Ginny becomes even more prolific in times of emotional upheaval. She says the best thing about a break-up is... well, the SOX, of course. Break-up SOX.

If she breaks up with her beau-du-jour/semaine/mois (it's never the other way around), or if some former friend slides right off the sliding friendship scale... suddenly, the needles are out and clicking. Before you know it, there are SOX.

Warm toes, cold heart, I guess. And why not? Who isn't cheered up by a good pair of simple socks. And in cashmere? So. Much. The. Better.

I am not a sock-knitter by nature, but I like socks, and have been known to tuck them gleefully into my mukluks in the winter. Knitting them makes for good, fast therapy, too -- think of the huge boost in serotonin that comes with every completed pair! On a whim I started knitting a pair last week, and now I may have to do this every year, emotional upheaval or no emotional upheaval.

Behold! Cashmere Break-Up SOX (without the break-up):



These were knit with 2 skeins of Estelle in Fiery Sunset. I made slight modifications to the Simple Sock Pattern from Cat Bordhi's Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles to incorporate a tiny chevron-like rib (ETA: Pattern modifications are in the next post).

Toes this toasty probably don't much care how broken the heart might be.





Close-up of the second Break-up Sock in Estelle, colourway Atropos.



Everyone's got an opinion on how many chaps a girl can date at once, but one thing we can all agree on is that there's no such thing as having too much SOX.

SAFE SOX (of course).